We have tried all kinds of diapers. And I can tell you, not all diapers are created equal. After much trial and error, we found that the brands we love the most are Huggies and Pampers. We’ll buy a bag of cheapies (read: the store/off-brand ones for quick middle of the night changes), but we don’t trust them to do the “big” jobs. If you know what I’m saying 😉
I have always thought those mama’s who cloth diapered were brave. Sure, they were doing the best thing for the environment, but tossing poop in the wash? The thought of that alone grosses me out. No offense meant to cloth diapering heroes out there… you are much braver than I. I care about the environment. Not in a over the top, stand on my soap box and preach it to the world kind of way. But I want to do my part to make sure that this place is still suitable to live in when my grandchildren are running around.
One day, while browsing the web during a middle of the night insomnia bout, I came across these stats on decomposition. Why I was looking these things up, I can’t tell you. But, here they are:
- Banana Peel: 3-4 weeks
- Paper Bag: 1 month
- Cardboard: 2 months
- Wool Sock : 1 year
- Tinned Steel Can: 50 years
- Aluminum Can: 200-500 years (But if recycled, it can be reused within 6 weeks!)
- Disposable Diapers: 550 years
- Plastic Bags : 20-1000 years
- Plastic Jug: 1 million years
- Glass : 1-2 million years
- Styrofoam: 1+ million years
Some of those things I already knew and others weren’t a surprise. But since I now have an infant, the disposable diapers really stuck out to me…. 550 years?! How many diapers have I used on Oliver already? I felt awful! I can’t tell you if it was the postpartum hormones, or what, but it made me go on a search for something better. As you already know, cloth diapering gives me the heebie jeebies. There had to be something better…
Enter The Honest Company. I had seen things about this company before, but its co-founder is Jessica Alba. I’m not/wasn’t a fan of her so I never gave it a second glance. But I looked more into it this time, and I really liked what I was seeing! First of all, their diapers? ADORABLE! Did you see the super cute prints? Second, they do a free trial. You pay the s&h (&5.95) and they send you 7 super cute diapers and a pack of wipes. Those two things right there got me to seriously consider them.
Their diapers are:
- Plant-based (PLA) inner & outer layers – gentle on your baby’s bottom
- Non-toxic, sustainably harvested pulp processed without chlorine or harsh chemical bleaches
- Natural citrus & chlorophyll odor-inhibitors
- Bio-based wheat/corn blend in super-absorbent core – less sodium polyacrylate
- Cute, stylized designs for girls & boys — yes, diapers can be fun!
- Comfy-stretch side panels & soft, refastenable tabs for perfect fit & wigglability!
- Securely fitting moisture barrier cuffs prevent leakage & blowouts — fewer accidents, less laundry!
- Simply pure – NO risky fragrances, lotions, or latex
- Gentle, safe and non-irritating for the most sensitive skin